How to Play Online Poker in New York
New York is one of the worst states for poker players, if not the worst. There are only a few options for real money play. And it doesn’t look the situation is going to improve any in the near future. Read on to find out what little you can do in regards to real money poker in NY State.
** Disclaimer: It is your responsibility to know the laws in your state. Use of this article is at your own risk.**
Home Poker Games in New York
While most states allow you to have or play in home games as long as no rake is taken, in New York you cannot. New York’s law is straightforward:
Illegal wagers, bets and stakes. All wagers, bets or stakes, made to depend upon any race, or upon any gaming by lot or chance, or upon any lot, chance, casualty, or unknown or contingent event whatever, shall be unlawful.
Then it’s backed up by this:
1. “Contest of chance” means any contest, game, gaming scheme or gaming device in which the outcome depends in a material degree upon an element of chance, notwithstanding that skill of the contestants may also be a factor therein.
2. “Gambling” A person engages in gambling when he stakes or risks something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that he will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.
Poker is not considered a game of skill in New York, but a game of chance. In my research, I read that home games aren’t targeted as often as underground games. So it’s likely that you can have a home game without any issues. But they’re still illegal nonetheless.
Playing Online in New York
If playing in a home game in New York is illegal, you can bet that online poker is illegal too. In fact, New York has even gone as far as to try regulating whether residents can even gain access to sites that offer or promote gambling. They haven’t managed to succeed – yet.
Play money poker might be an option in New York. But you’ll have to find a site that will allow you to open an account though. One site you might consider trying is Lock Poker. Lock has play money games running around the clock and offers all the major game formats and variations. You can visit the play money site at www.LockPoker.net.
Live Casino Poker in New York
The only legal way to play real money poker in New York is live in one of the very few casinos in the state. Below are the details on where you can play as well as the games being offered.
Seneca Niagara: Seneca Niagara spreads holdem, omaha and stud over 16 tables. A few promotions they run include ladies night and their bad beat jackpot.
Turning Stone: Turning Stone offers tournaments, cash games and SNGs. A couple of their promotions include a bad beat jackpot and $100 for making a royal flush during live play.
Related "How To" Posts:
- How to Play Online Poker in Kentucky
- How to Play Online Poker in Nevada
- How to Play Online Poker in Michigan
Written by Matt Geer