With a quarter of the 2011 online poker campaign behind us the big names are starting to move to the top of the winners’ leader-board, with both Daniel Cates and Phil Ivey now both in the top 5, along with Gus Hansen who continues to be the biggest winner for the year with over $4 million in profits in 2011 –although Cates is down over $400k under his PokerStars screen-name of W00ki3z. Before I list the Top 10 winners for the year let me detail how some of the more popular players are faring in 2011.
Just outside of the Top 10 on the winners’ side is Phil “OMGClayAiken” Galfond who through February was online poker’s biggest loser for 2011. Galfond turned a deficit of over $1 million into a profit of $700,000 in March, and ended the month as the biggest winner.
Two names usually in the black by this time of the year are still struggling: Tom ‘durrrr’ Dwan is now the biggest loser for the year with nearly $2 million in losses during 2011, and his fellow Team Full Tilt Poker Pro Patrik Antonius also finds himself down, although not in quite as deep a hole as Dwan with about $500,000 in losses up to this point.
Two other players in the red at this point include Viktor “Isildur1” Blom (-$383,965) who has been on a rollercoaster ride all year long, and Daniel “KidPoker” Negreanu (-$406,417) who for the first time has been playing enough online poker to make one of these lists –although I’m sure not the one he would like to be on!
Another player on a terrible downswing is the German Limit Holdem pro IHateJuice/Kagome Kagome, who was up over $500k until his screen-name change to Kagome Kagome, at which point he has gone on a $1.6 million downswing.
Here is a look at the Top 10 money winners through March 2011 according to www.highstakesdb.com:
- Gus Hansen — Full Tilt Poker — $4,097,298
- Daniel ‘jungleman12’ Cates — Full Tilt Poker — $1,959,267
- gavz101 – PokerStars — $1,800,648
- Matt Hawrilenko — Full Tilt Poker — $1,385,018
- Phil Ivey – Full Tilt Poker — $1,186,529
- EazyPeazy – Full Tilt Poker — $1,050,028
- NoPasaran – Full Tilt Poker — $1,013,530
- O Fortuna PLS – Full Tilt Poker — $986,969
- bixiu – Full Tilt Poker — $907,678
- Andreas ‘skjervoy’ Torbergsen – Full Tilt Poker — $831,808
- Di Dang Tops Online Poker Winners in January 2011 - January 31, 2011
- Online Poker’s High Stakes Winners and Losers for February - March 8, 2011
- Player of the Year Race Heats Up in March - April 1, 2011
Written by Steve Ruddock on April 2nd, 2011